TMS forte® 800 mg / 160 mg
10 / 20 tablets
Active substance: sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (cotrimoxazole)
TMS forte® is a combination of two medicinal agents (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, also called cotrimoxazole) which prevent the metabolism of folic acid (a water-soluble vitamin) by sensitive pathogens (competitive inhibition of folic acid biosynthesis).
Applications of TMS forte® 800 mg / 160 mg:
- Infections of the upper and lower airways.
- Pneumonia caused by Pneumocystis carinii.
- Ear, nose and throat infections (except tonsillitiscaused by streptococci).
- Infections of the kidney and lower urinary tract (bladder, urethra) including short-term treatment and long-term, prophylactic treatment to prevent a relapse.
- Infections of the female and male sexual organs including prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland) and various sexually transmitted diseases (excluding syphilis).
- Infections of the gastrointestinal tract:
shigellosis, travellers’ diarrhoea, chronic typhoid carriers. In the following infections, sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim may be used only when other currently recommended antibiotics cannot be given: typhoid, paratyphoid A and B, salmonella diarrhoea progressing to septic disorders (high fever after the bacteria have invaded the bloodstream) in patients with a weakened immune system,
- brucellosis (a contagious disease transmitted by domestic animals),
- nocardiosis (an infectious disease mainly affecting patients with a weakened immune system),
- fungal pseudomycetoma (a tumour caused by bacteria),
- South American blastomycosis (a skin disease caused by fungi).
- 10 or 20 tablets
For risks and side effects, read the leaflet and ask your doctor or pharmacist.